Often called the not-for-profit, third sector and the voluntary and community sector. It’s worth noting that many of the roles involved in business are also required in not-for-profit such as marketing, finance, IT and so on.
Typical roles within charities and voluntary sectors include:
- Animal conservation
- Campaigning and lobbying
- Conservation and environmental
- Economic development
- Emergency and poverty alleviation
- Financial management
- Health education and promotion
- Human resources management, including volunteer management
- Human rights
- Policy development
- Care services and carer support
- PR and branding
- Scientific, environmental and social research and development
Working conditions: Conditions differ dependent on the role but generally have high levels of job satisfaction.
Opportunities for promotion: Prospects for promotion are strong overall.
Starting salary: Typically, the salaries are lower within this sector and pay differs between jobs.