This sector is due to grow significantly and with particular demand in highly skilled roles. The hospitality, tourism and sport industry can be broken down into the following:
- Accommodation – over one fifth of those in accommodation work in hotels, hostels, B&Bs and self-contained apartments
- Betting and gambling – 4% work in casinos or betting shops
- Food and beverage services – The majority of people in the sector work in bars, pubs, cafés, restaurants etc.
- Sports and active leisure – 20% of employees work in or at gyms, golf courses, football clubs etc.
- Travel and tourism – 6% of the sector’s workforce are in the travel agent or tour operator industries
What can you expect?
Working conditions: You can expect many roles to be fast paced, requiring customer facing skills.
Hours: Typically shift work but is dependent on the role.
Expected salary: The food and beverage average salary is typically low, however, the other sectors can offer significantly higher wages.